Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth
The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth was founded in Rome, Italy in 1875 by Frances Siedliska, a Polish noblewoman. Ten years after the foundation in Rome, in 1885, Mother Foundress and 11 pioneer sisters set out for Chicago, Illinois, where they had been invited to minister to the needs of Polish immigrant children and families. The Congregation in the United States experienced phenomenal early growth and soon the sisters expanded their services to God’s people in the Midwest be establishing works of mercy in cities in the Eastern part of the country. Throughout the Congregations history in the United States, in 20 states and in Puerto Rico, hundreds of sisters have served families in schools, health care and in child care services, care of the elderly, retreat work, and in parish, prison and youth ministry. Today, some 300 sisters pray for and minister to families in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Texas, Michigan and Ohio.